Dear Sir/Madam, As I hope you are all aware, the ARA is organising, as a forerunner to the formal opening of ARA Storage & Distribution Forum on November 8th, a Regulation Work Group meeting on November 7th at the Hilton Hotel in Addis, Ethiopia. The purpose of this meeting is to discuss downstream regulatory issues following up on the recent work carried out by the ARA Regulation Work Group (RWG) under the chairmanship of EWURA (Tanzania) and ERB (Zambia). We do hope that you will attend.
The RWG is working towards building a road map for best practice in African downstream regulation. Some ideas proposed in previous RWG discussions include:
- To find common perimeter amongst the downstream regulators and to promote best practice in independence and financing of regulators
- To ensure that the petroleum infrastructure is maintained at required standards while stable supplies of petroleum products are available across the countries
- Sharing best practice on compliance, monitoring & enforcement
- Transparent and market petroleum products pricing
- Petroleum products quality control through marking programmes (curbing fuel adulteration and dumping of transit and tax exempted petroleum products)
- Regional harmonization of product quality standards to improve cross border product trading between neighboring countries
- Centralised procurement of petroleum products
We do hope that you will all support the RWG in its objectives. Downstream petroleum regulation is key to Africa's development today - more than ever with the need for investment to match economic growth. Sharing knowledge and expertise across Africa is essential in order to establish a road map towards a sustainable, safe, secure, economic and efficient downstream petroleum supply chain.
The ARA has identified that there is much best practice to share among African regulators to avoid decisions being made that may be regretted later, and to help establish a regulatory environment that is fair to all stakeholders. As the next step in this process, the Association hopes that you will attend the ARA Regulation Work Group meeting in Addis on November 7th, 2016.
We look forward to your positive reply to our invitation.
14:00 Introduction of Members and opening remarks – by Esther Anku (WG Leader)
14:15 Review of minutes of previous meeting – by Esther Anku
14:30 Matters arising from previous meeting – by Esther Anku
14:45 Where should governments and regional bodies focus - discussion?
15:00 Coffee Break
15:30 Feedback on recent developments in respective ARA member countries petroleum industries by regulators present
16:45 2016 RWG next meeting – date and locations